You are here:

Immigration Issues/L2 Visa - Marriage certificate issue


Hi , I am working on L1 visa in USA , and i want my family to visit me , i do not have a Marriage certificate . Can i get a L2 visa for my wife without  Marriage certificate ? if yes how ?

Thank you

No you may not get a dependent visa for spouse without proof of marriage.  You may submit other secondary evidence, like affidavits, but USCIS is very strict about requirement of marriage certificate unless the marriage was performed customarily and not registered.  

Best wishes,  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.


Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.