Immigration Issues/Permanent Card Apply


QUESTION: Got Canada PR for my family and before oct 7th 2012 need to enter canada for landing formalities and come back to US. US visa got expired on my old passport,

1) can i come back to US using Auto Validation Process(AVR). ?
2) After landing in canada is that i have to apply for Perminent Resident Card by giving local address.How many days it will arrive ?
3)After getting PR card i have to apply for SIN ?

My Details

1) Have valid 1-797 upto Mar'2013 and valid I-94 attached to 1-797
2) Have Valid new passport with canada PR Visa on it
3) Have all employment letters,current client letters,current paychecks...
4) Expired passport with expired US visa and I-94 (Mar 2011,I didnt went out of US after mar 2011)
5)Wife have valid US visa and kid have US citizen

Thanks in advance

ANSWER: Dear Vinay,

Thank you for your question.  I can't answer any of your questions relating to US visas or their processes.  Completely different rules than Canada.  So you might want to ask a US expert about that.  However, pertaining to Canada, yes, after you land you DO have to give a Canadian address for the PR cards.  You can use the address of friends or family and have them send you the PR cards when they arrive.  It's taking about 4 to 6 weeks for the PR cards to arrive after landing.  As soon as you complete the landing procedures you can go to Service Canada with the voided Canadian visa (Immigration officer will void it once you land) in your passport along with your copy of your Confirmation of Permanent Residence to apply for your Social Insurance Number.

I hope that helps.


Roxanne Jessome, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Dear Roxanne,

Thanks for your prompt reply.i understood that after landing i have to apply by filling the Application for Permanent residence(IMM5444E) for my family by giving local canada address and mail to Case Processing Center(PR Card),sydney,Nova scotia with fee paid online.

But from this link

If you are a new permanent resident, you will automatically receive your new card as part of the immigration process.

1) To which address they will send automatically PR Card ?
2) To apply SIN no need of PR card ?
3) In the IMM5444E form, Date you became a permanent residence (DATE of entry in canada ?)

Please reply
Thanks in Advance

Hi Vinay,

1.  It must be an address in Canada.
2.  No, the Confirmation of Permanent Residence and the voided PR visa in your passport will be all the Service Canada needs to see.
3.  You do not have to fill out this form for your first PR card.  That is for renewal.

Good luck.


Roxanne Jessome, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant
roxanne @

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Roxanne Jessome


I can answer questions pertaining to Canadian Immigration laws, policies and procedures as well as Canadian citizenship.


I am a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant specializing in the areas of family classes (spousal sponsorships, parents and grandparents), economic classes (federal skilled worker, provincial nominees, Canada experience class), and temporary entry (temporary foreign workers, visitors) and permanent residency obligations and citizenship requirements.

Immigration Consultants Regulatory Council of Canada Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants

Graduate of the University of British Columbia, Certificate in Immigration Laws, Policies and Procedures.

©2017 All rights reserved.