Immigration Issues/SINP


QUESTION: Hi Roxanne, I'm hoping you can help me work out what will happen next? My husband has been offered a job in Saskatoon, and we have applied for the two of us and our five children under the SINP.  I'm very confused about what we need to do next if we are approved.  His company has a three-month probation period, so we have decided that he would travel out first and we will follow if things work out.  Can he head over as soon as he gets the approval and apply for a Temporary Work Permit at Toronto airport? and then apply for Permanent Residency for all of us while in Saskatoon?  What would myself and the children need to do - can we follow over and provide documentation at the airport? Sorry for all the questions - I'm finding the whole thing quite stressful and there are so many differing opinions to be found online!
Thanks very much,


ANSWER: Hi Barbara,

Thank you for your question.  First I need to know what country you are from.  If you are from a visa exempt country and if your husband is approved for the SINP then yes, he can use that and his job offer letter to apply for a work permit at the first port of entry to Canada that he encounters which will be Toronto according to you.  If you are not from a visa exempt country then your husband will have to apply for his work permit and temporary resident visa at the Canadian embassy or consulate servicing your country.

Your husband will have 6 months from the date the SINP approval is issued to apply for permanent residence for all of you.  However, before doing that, on the strength of his work permit and SINP you and the children can also enter Canada.  You would be eligible for an open work permit and the children for study permits if appropriate.  This can be done before you apply for permanent residence.  Permanent residence will probably take at least a year to assess so you will likely want to join him in Canada before that so the open work permit and study permits will be necessary.  Again, you can apply for these at the first port of entry to Canada when you arrive.  When you follow you would need a copy of his SINP, contract and work permit.

My one concern about an application for permanent residence for you would be your family size.  It's expensive to support a family of 7 and I hope your husband's salary will be significant and sufficient to provide for all of your needs and/or that you have liquid assets that could be utilized for your family's support.

I hope this helps.


Roxanne Jessome, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thanks so much for getting back to me Roxanne.  I'm in Ireland, so visa-exempt.  When you say that we can apply for all the permits etc. at the airport, does that mean that there would be a lot of form-filling? If we apply for the temporary permit before he goes, would we need to submit applications for the children and I at the same time?  I really don't know what is the best thing to do.  

I'm also a bit anxious about the last paragraph of your reply - we have no liquid assets and I don't really know how the starting salary offered would compare in Saskatchewan.  The company have said they will review the salary after the probation period is over.  

Thanks very much for your help so far, it is so nice to speak to someone who knows exactly what is involved in all of this!

Hi Barbara,

If you apply at the port of entry, no there is not a lot of forms to fill out.  The immigration officer does that for you.  You need the supporting documents.  And yes, you could choose to apply for everything before your husband leaves for Canada. It really is your own choice as I wouldn't say that one is better than the other assuming that there are no issues pertaining to criminality or medical inadmissibility.

My concern about the salary is that when you apply for permanent residence for your family, you have to be able to show that you are earning enough money to support your family without having to rely on any social assistance programs available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.  Ultimately, immigration is supposed to strengthen Canada's economic position, not weaken it by adding to the burden.  A family of 7 is large and expensive.  I would pay very careful attention to the permanent residence application in this regard to show that the salary being earned is adequate to provide for all of your material needs and that you do not require any social benefits to be able to support your family.  If you get a job upon arriving in Canada with your open work permit, your salary can be added to your family income which could also help.  You may want to have some personalized legal advice and/or representation in that regard.  If a visa officer has reason to believe that you WILL have to rely on social programs in Canada, they can use something called "substituted evaluation" to negatively impact your permanent residence application and cause a refusal.  So you have to take a proactive approach to this.  

As I don't know more about your situation (compensation package, exact location, housing costs, cost of living, etc.) I cannot really comment more on this.  Suffice it to say that I suggest you get legal advice prior to making your PR application to ensure that the visa officer will not be concerned with your families ability to become economically established in Canada without government assistance required.


Roxanne Jessome, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Roxanne Jessome


I can answer questions pertaining to Canadian Immigration laws, policies and procedures as well as Canadian citizenship.


I am a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant specializing in the areas of family classes (spousal sponsorships, parents and grandparents), economic classes (federal skilled worker, provincial nominees, Canada experience class), and temporary entry (temporary foreign workers, visitors) and permanent residency obligations and citizenship requirements.

Immigration Consultants Regulatory Council of Canada Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants

Graduate of the University of British Columbia, Certificate in Immigration Laws, Policies and Procedures.

©2017 All rights reserved.