Immigration Issues/Working in USA

Question
Hello,
I am currently a Canadian citizen living within Canada. This July, I have plans to move to New Mexico to live with my boyfriend who is currently stationed in the Air Force there. I will be applying to The University of New Mexico starting in the spring semester.
I have done much research on this issue, and have not came to many reasonable solutions. I was wondering if you would have some more insight on it.
I will need a job to support myself while I am going to school there, and I do not know which visa would best suit my condition.I read that with a student visa, I may only work on campus. Which at this state is my best option, but I would prefer off campus. My and my boyfriend are not planning on getting married for at least a year, but if necessary, I am assuming that is my second best option and apply for the fiance visa.  
I was wondering if you had any other options available for me so I would be able to go to school there, and work off campus. I do not have any family members currently citizens of USA, and I do not have the work experience to be able to find a work sponsor.

Thanks
Crystal :)

Answer

Your best option is to enter the U.S. on an F1 (student) visa. You will apply for an F1 visa stamp at any U.S. Consulate in Canada once you are admitted to University and issued Form I-20 by the university. You are correct that you can work only part-time, and on campus as well, in F1 status. However, there does not appear to be a viable option for employment based category such as H1B for you at this time, since this requires both the possession of the equivalent of a bachelor's degree plus a job offer in the U.S. where the sponsor is willing to sign the H1B petition.

Once you are married, all sponsorship paperwork including employment authorization application can be filed concurrently in the U.S. You will not be required to depart the U.S., and the fiance petition is not required either since you will already be in the U.S.: www.h1b1.com/Uscitizen.htm

Ajay K. Arora