Immigration Issues/Dependent Visa


My fiancee and me have come on a student visa for 1 year under SPP India (currently in Toronto). We are both registered physiotherapists. We plan on getting married so that one of us can leave the course and be on dependent visa and work full time. But is that safe? How do we file dependent visa? can we file from here or from India? Can the dependent work full time? Is it safe, means are there chances of rejection? what about after the course? ones the student gets the work permit what can the dependent do? can he work or not? And after the course we are planning to move to Saskatchewan as we will get one year work permit. What are the chances of getting PR. please help us.. Thank you

ANSWER: Dear Prakalta,

Thanks for your inquiry.

To respond to your issue in general, the work permit of the spouse may be granted for the same validity as that of the principal applicant’s but no longer. The spouse may obtain an “open” work permit, that is, with no indication of a specific employer. A medical examination may be required before issuance of the work permit in order to practice certain professions.

It is possible to seek an open work permit as a dependent of a foreign student following the issuance of that study permit. Such an application would be submitted to a visa office abroad, or to a Case Processing Centre within Canada if already in Canada. And I don't see any problems as long as all the paper work is in order.


---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thank you so much for your reply.. Its really helpful.. Just one more doubt - What are the documents they require for submitting application of dependent spouse? Is there a website from where I can get the information about it? And how long does it take to obtain the marriage certificate in Ontario?

Thanks in advance

The process is pretty straightforward and simple. Applicant(s) must prove that he/she will go back to home country by showing ties to home country. Usually, this is the deciding factor and keep in mind that officer(s) got huge discretion.

To be eligible for an Open Work Permit, the spouse or common-law partner of a foreign student cannot themselves be full-time students and must demonstrate that:
•   the foreign student is studying full-time at a diploma/degree-granting, publicly-funded post-secondary educational facility; or
•   the foreign student has graduated and is the holder of a valid work permit for a job related to his/her studies.

For spouses and common-law partners, Open Work Permits are generally issued with a validity date that coincides with the period of time that their spouse is permitted to work or study in Canada, as the case may be.
Please check with your local Provincial office (Marriage Commissioner) in order to find out how long it takes to get the marriage certificate and follow the link for more details about work permit:

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ravi Khosla


You can ask question related to Canadian Immigration, policies and procedures.


Serving the community since last 25 years in regards to their immigration matters.

Senior Paralegal (Immigration) CVT Law Office Surrey BC


©2017 All rights reserved.