Immigration Issues/F-1 visa & port of entry

Hi there,

I am currently in the process of applying to a graduate program in Los Angeles, CA. I have financial resources to fund my education. My concern relates to crossing the port of entry. I will be living with my boyfriend who is American, and I am a Canadian citizen. I am worried that they will not let me cross the border due to my living arrangements with my boyfriend. As of this time, I do not intend to immigrate as I am a Registered Psychiatric Nurse in Canada which is not recognized in California. My pursuit of education is for counseling purposes to beef up my nursing credentials. Will indicating that I plan to live with my boyfriend be a problem? How can I prevent any hiccups along this journey?

Thank you!

Dear Haylea,

I don't think your living arrangement with your boyfriend is relevant to your F-1 status.  It may be relevant if he is a US citizen, but you can explain to the port of entry officer, if this subject comes up, that you are only living with your boyfriend and there is no plan to get married.  The only issue is immigrant intent, but if you don't intend to get married then the immigrant intent issue does not come up.

Jack Sung

Can answer: Immigration and visa issues Can't answer: Everything else

Been a practicing immigration attorney for 4 years.

Taiwanese American Lawyers Association. American Immigration Lawyers Association. Los Angeles County Bar Association

Southwestern International Law Journal

J.D. from Southwestern Univ. School of Law in 2007. Licensed attorney in California

LACBA 2011 Outstanding Public Service Award