You are here:

Immigration Issues/First time H1b stamping in Canada


I came to US on J1 in 2007, spent 5 years, changed into H1b in 2010 for 1 year, renewed it in 2011 for three years until 2014. My passport has my expired J1 stamp. I have not been out of the US ever. I do not have a degree from US. I work at a University in the Chemistry field.
Is it advisable to go to Canada for H1b stamping?
Thank you.
S. Saxena

You may do so; but please be reminded that they can ask you to go back to your country of residence to get the stamp.  

However, there are attorneys who accompany their clients for such stamping.  Also, you may submit your request and information to the consulate at the port - before you leave - and the consulate will provide you with information regarding evidence required.  

Best wishes,  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.


Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]