Immigration Issues/Greencard process

Question
Sir, I have an important question to ask you.
I just started my job 8 months ago and I am in first process of greencard. I just applied for labor certification which might take upto 8 months. Then goes I 140 and I 485. Though I have been working with the company since 8 months, I only applied for labor certification a month ago.
Now I have better job offers and I want to change employer. But i dont want to lose greencard processing as well.
I heard I could change job after I 140 approval or 6 months after I 485 APPLICATION.
Here are 2 basic questions.
1. How early can i change the job without my greencard process being affected?I also dont want any audits on my greencard either later in the process. So want to take a calculated risk.
2. How early can I apply for I 485? Is it possible before the priority date is current?
3. Would you recommend me changing jobs at this stage?

Thanks for the input.
Its greatly appreciated.
Nataraj

Answer

It is safe to change jobs and  still obtain your green card through Employer A (even if Employer A revokes its I-140 petition) once both the I-140 is approved, and I-485 has been filed and pending for six months or more. The I-485 cannot be filed until the priority date is current: www.h1b1.com/visawaiting.htm

You normally have 6 years aggregate in H1B status and assuming that you have plenty of time remaining, and that not too much time has been invested in the GC process through Employer A, it is OK to change jobs now if the new employer will also support you for the GC process through the filing of a new PERM application: www.h1b1.com/employmentbased.htm

Ajay K. Arora