Immigration Issues/H1B status and spouse's GC processing

Question
I will be starting MS degree in Fall 2012 on H4 visa.My husbands GC processing will be starting in Jan 2013.I will be graduating in June 2013 and will be applying for job.My question is do I have to be on H4 status only for my husband to add my name in his GC petition?If I am on H1B status will he be still able to add me on the petition?For us to take advantage of cross chargeability is it necessary for me to on H4 status from the start of his GC process?

Please advise.Thanks.

Answer

You are automatically included in your husband's employment-based green card process, no matter what your nonimmigrant visa status in the U.S.

The same principle applies to cross-chargeability; your can be in any nonimmigrant visa status in the U.S.

Ajay K. Arora