Immigration Issues/H1B1 to dependent green card

Question
Hi Ajay,

I'm marrying citizen from Singapore who is planning on getting a job on H-1B1. I wanted to find out if she can apply for dependent green card while she is working on H-1B1 visa.

Is it advisable to have H-1B visa as her work visa if it makes it any better?

Thanks!
Hrishi

Answer

H1B1 visa status for Singaporean and Chilean nationals does not allow for intention to immigrate permanently to the U.S. Therefore, it is generally recommended to wait at least two months after entry to the U.S. in the aforesaid status before taking action such as marriage to a U.S. citizen and subsequent sponsorship.

After marriage occurs, however, your spouse can be sponsored and can adjust status in the U.S. It is advisable that she not travel outside the U.S. once she enters on H1B1 visa status until issued advance parole document based on spousal sponsorship. General information is here: www.h1b1.com/Uscitizen.htm

Ajay K. Arora