You are here:

Immigration Issues/immigration and divorce


hello, i came here from uk on tourist visa in 2001, i am now married to us citizen for 3 years who is verbally abusing me and on occasion hit me. he refuses to put in paperwork for change of status and is now threatening to divorce me. he says if i contest the divorce in any way he will have me deported. can he do this? also would i be able to adjust status on my own? thankyou for your time.

Dear Lynne:
Sorry to hear about your situation; we have come across many such cases and have successfully helped the victims get their green card.  

For sure there are ways you can adjust status on your own; but, please note that your question is case specific for it to be answered meaningfully on a forum. I recommend hiring an immigration attorney on a retainer basis to provide on-going support as undoubtedly it will be needed since you are delving into a murky area of the law.

You may also contact us with details and we will be more than happy to assist you - calls us or email as convenient.  

Best wishes,

Note: Our main are of practice is U.S. Immigration Law with focus on Removal, Deportation, Asylum, Employment Visas, Non-immigrant Visas (H1B/L1/J1), Immigration Bond matters, Criminal Immigration and other complex Immigration matters and related Federal Court litigation.  This communication, though, does not constitute “legal advice”, nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.


Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]