You are here:

Immigration Issues/Return to port of issue necessary?


I am a graduate student will be starting my masters course in fall this year. My question to you is that, is it necessary to return to the port of issue of my F1 visa to change to an h1 visa, if/when I get a job in US? I ask this as I am an Indian national, but I am getting my f1 visa issued in Qatar.

Hi Chaitanya,

You don't have to return to the port of issue.

When your employer files the H-1b, the employer can designate which port (US Embassy or Consulate) to send the approved petition, and after that is done, you can go to that port to apply for the H1b visa.

Your employer can designate Qatar or any other Embassy that you have access.  Please remember you need a visa to enter certain countries so before designating that country's US Embassy, make sure you are able to enter that country.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jack Sung


Can answer: Immigration and visa issues Can't answer: Everything else


Been a practicing immigration attorney for 4 years.

Taiwanese American Lawyers Association. American Immigration Lawyers Association. Los Angeles County Bar Association

Southwestern International Law Journal

J.D. from Southwestern Univ. School of Law in 2007. Licensed attorney in California

Awards and Honors
LACBA 2011 Outstanding Public Service Award

©2017 All rights reserved.