Immigration Issues/Staying for 4-5 days after resigning on L1

Question

I am on a L1-B visa valid till March next year. I have got an offer in India so I am planning to resign. Can I stay for 4-5 days more from the day I resign in US. I will be utilizing this time to wrap up things.

Thanks,
Rajeev

Answer

There is no statutory grace period. However, as a practical matter, there is an unofficial 10 day period to depart the U.S. after termination of your employment. When applying at a future date for a visa stamp at a U.S. Consulate, the Consulate should not hassle you about staying for a few days in the U.S. beyond employment termination date to organize your affairs such as housing, bills, moving and transportation, etc.

Ajay K. Arora