Immigration Issues/H1B to L2 COS

Question
I'm on L2 EAD . My spouse is on L1 and our visa expiry is in June 2013.
My current employer has sponsored my H1b this year and is under process. My status will change to H1B in Oct 2012.

If I lose my job anytime when I'm in H1 status, can I immediately apply for Change Of Status to L2?
When I do so - will I be considered as out of status till I get my L2 approval notice?

Answer

An application to change status to L2 should be filed no later than actual employment termination date by the H1B employer. If this rule is followed, you can remain legally in the U.S. until change of status application is approved by the USCIS, and then of course you can continue to remain legally in the U.S. in L2 status, subject only to your spouse maintaining maintaining respective L1 status.

Ajay K. Arora