Immigration Issues/L1 and H1B visa

Question
I am in US on L1B and my visa and I-94 got expired on June 7, company applied for L1B extension on June 5, 2012. Same company applied for H1B on May 4 2012, Both visa are filed normally (No premium processing for both visa).
Let say my H1B get approves and L1B status under decision, can I fly to my home country and come back on H1B without issue. The time of leaving to my native country does not have L1B approved because of which my stay is considered as illegal. If yes, how to resolve the issue.

Answer

You are able to remain legally in the U.S. due to the L1B extension filed prior to I-94 expiration. You should continue to be employed by the L1B employer until either the H1B petition, or L1B extension is approved.

Assuming that the H1B petition filed by your employer requests change of status, and further assuming that you are subject to the H1B visa cap, the H1B approval notice will have an employment start date of Oct. 01, 2012. At that time you will automatically be in H1B status, even though the L1B extension will probably have been approved prior to Oct. 01.

You can always depart the U.S. and enter the U.S. on an unexpired visa stamp (either H1B or L1B), as per your preference to work for either the H1B or L1B employer, depending upon which visa stamp you enter the U.S.

Ajay K. Arora