Immigration Issues/L2 to F1


Dear sir

I am currently on L2 in USA. I NEED to convert to F1 asap by the end of Aug 2012. I cant apply for COS in the USA due to time constraint. So to apply for a fresh F1 visa, Do I need to go back to my home country - India or Can I apply the same from a near by country CANADA ?

This is very urgent. Appreciate your immediate response


Dear Priyanka:

You may file for F1 w/in US; but if you need to travel, you may need stamping on the PP for which you may have to leave and enter the US from a port of entry.  PLease check with the concerned port before you leave.  

Best wishes,  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.


Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.