You are here:

Immigration Issues/lost advance payroll. is it OK to travel with a copy?


I am about to leave for India for a family emergency and i realised i can't find my current AP documents. How risky is it to travel with just a copy? i may be traveling via TX.

Also if i re file for a replacement of AP or a new AP now, how long would it take to come? Also is there a way expedite the process?
thanks much

Travelling with a copy is not advisable.  You may, however, make an info pass appointment with your local USCIS office and explain your situation and emergency for travel - they may issue or expedite the issue of AP for you (bring all relevant documents including filled out form I-131 with fee, two photos, evidence of emergency, etc.)

I do hope and wish things would work out fine.  

Best wishes,

Note: Our main are of practice is U.S. Immigration Law with focus on Removal, Deportation, Asylum, Employment Visas, Non-immigrant Visas (H1B/L1/J1), Immigration Bond matters, Criminal Immigration and other complex Immigration matters and related Federal Court litigation.  This communication, though, does not constitute “legal advice”, nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.


Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.