Immigration Issues/lost advance payroll. can i still travel with a copy?

Question
Hi Ajay
i need to travel to India - Family emergency. however i just can't find my current Advance payroll. i have all my last few years APs - just the one issued in 2012 is missing.
is it safe to travel with just a copy of it? My lawer said i will have the risk of not be allowed to enter US also it may result in my GC abandonment. My company is sponsering me and my husband.

Also per Lawyer - there is no replacement or duplicate APs. i have to file for a new one and it'll take up to 5 months. is it true?

please help.

Answer

You should travel with original advance parole document only, as failure to do so can result in abandoning your adjustment of status application unless you continue to maintain H1B, H4, or L visa status. You will need to apply for it again, and it typically takes close to 3 months for issuance. You can try to obtain emergency advance parole document after filing Form I-131 with the USCIS by making an appointment through Infopass at a local USCIS office to expedite. General information about advance parole is here: www.h1b1.com/parole.htm

Ajay K. Arora