You are here:

Immigration Issues/Procedure to get refund from CIC


I have got the refusal letter for work permit extension and also adviced to restore status within 90 days.I havent received my passport from Detroit (been a month now ). I am plannin to land as soon as I get the passport. In order to be safe I want to restore my status as a visitor and then complete the landing procedure.
My question is how can I claim back the restoration fees (since I will be applying for restoration after I get the passport so definitely they wldnt have started working on my application ) ??
What is the procedure ??
Also how long does it take to get money back ??

Please advice.

Hi Shaz,

You can call the CIC call centre and advise the agent that you want to withdraw the application.  They will give you instructions about what to do.  CIC will process the refund and send a cheque to your address indicated on your application.  It can take more than 2 to 3 months to get the money back.  


Roxanne Jessome, RCIC
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Roxanne Jessome


I can answer questions pertaining to Canadian Immigration laws, policies and procedures as well as Canadian citizenship.


I am a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant specializing in the areas of family classes (spousal sponsorships, parents and grandparents), economic classes (federal skilled worker, provincial nominees, Canada experience class), and temporary entry (temporary foreign workers, visitors) and permanent residency obligations and citizenship requirements.

Immigration Consultants Regulatory Council of Canada Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants

Graduate of the University of British Columbia, Certificate in Immigration Laws, Policies and Procedures.

©2017 All rights reserved.