Immigration Issues/RFE replied 30 days ago+H1B after filing family based AOS

Question
Hi! I am going through the AOS process and I'd really appreciate some insight on the following issues:

Received and replied RFE regarding I-864.
Originally included my wife as sponsor and added a joint sponsor in case they thought her resources weren't enough (as she's a MD student, we weren't sure they'd consider her scholarships as sufficient income). They might have missed the joint sponsor paperwork, b/c they asked us for further proof of enough income from my wife (we attached details of her scholarships in the original submission).
We re-submitted the information requested with an explanatory letter, pointing them to the joint sponsor documentation included in the original filing.
We got the RFE ~6/15 and they received our RFE reply on 6/25 and the case still shows "RFE being reviewed" - is this delay something to be expected or should we have gotten a status update already? Is there anything we can do to have visibility on what's going on?

H1B request under ongoing family based AOS (131/483/765)
I was unemployed at the time we submitted the AOS request. I have a couple of prospective employers lined up and potentially willing to file H1B request to get me working, since I'm still waiting for my EAD.
Would submitting an H1B request somehow "confuse" the administrative processing and delay/muddle everything? Is this something I should avoid until the I-131/485/765 are done with and I get my EAD?

Thanks so much for any insight!

Answer

It can take 60 days for a final decision once an RFE response has been received by the USCIS, assuming that the priority date continues to be current: www.h1b1.com/visawaiting.htm

You can call the USCIS at 800-375-5283 and request a status inquiry once 60 days have passed after USCIS has received the RFE response.

An H1B petition can be filed anytime prior to I-485 approval. It is independent of pending I-485 application, so there is no disadvantage. You will be granted extension (if currently in H1B status) or change of status (if currently in other visa status category), but you must currently have an unexpired I-94 when the H1B petition is filed.

Ajay K. Arora