Immigration Issues/Visiting the U.S.

Question
Hello,

In order to ask you this question I need to provide you some information.

I am an American citizen (born in Boston), but my parents are Brazilians (father passed away). I lived in the US until 3 years of age, after that I stayed in Brazil for 13 years, when I was sixteen I had a son, and 4 months later I came to the US.

Now, after almost 9 years living in the US, I am 25 years old and I want to bring my son, whose mother is Brazilian, to live with me for a year.

I have discarded the idea of applying for a green card because he is not going to be a permanent resident (since he is coming back after a year).

Now I must ask you... What are the choices and steps that I have and need to follow in order to be with my son for a period of a year?

I thank you for your help!

Christopher Dias

Answer

Your son should apply for a visitor visa (B-2 visa) at a U.S. Consulate in his home country: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1262.html

If the Consulate does not issue your son a visitor visa, there really is not much choice but to sponsor him for a green card and bring him to the U.S.: www.h1b1.com/sponsor.htm

Your son can always forfeit his green card if he is not interested in remaining a permanent resident.

Ajay K. Arora