Immigration Issues/221g ESTA

Question
Hi Ajay,

I received a 221g (Administrative Processing) in London Consulate when applying for H1B, I believe this equates to a refusal/denial of visa.

A few months later, I overcame the 221g Administrative Processing stage and my application was processed and the visa stamp received (it is now in my passport).

I overcame the decision/refusal, does the issuance of the eventual visa supersede the initial 221g refusal?

When answering question F on ESTA regarding have I ever been denied a U.S. visa, do I select yes or no?

Thanks

Answer

A 221g letter is not a final decision, but simply a request for additional information prior to the Consulate making a final decision on issuance or refusal of a visa. Since you were issued the visa, you have not been denied a visa. Thus, you can answer "no" to question F on ESTA.

Ajay K. Arora