Immigration Issues/About Extension

Question
Hello Sir,

My husband has applied for H4 extension for me and it is under process.

My previous H4 will expire on 30th sept.
I have to travel to India due to some family emergency and have to come back in Oct. Can i travel to India when my H4 extension is pending?

Please help me out.

Answer
Yes, you can travel anytime, but you must then obtain new H4 visa stamp from a U.S. Consulate (normally in your home country).

If you travel, the pending H4 application with the USCIS will be denied. However, that is OK, as you are legally in the U.S. at the time that you travel, and in any case you will enter the U.S. with H4 visa stamp issued by the Consulate.

Ajay K. Arora