Immigration Issues/H1B extension with denied labor

Question
Hi!

My employer applied for my Labor Cert in 2008 but it was denied this year (2012), lawyer made a mistake on documents submitted. The company started filing for a new labor cert last month. But my visa is expiring this Oct 15. I'm currently on my 8th yr of H1B. Since I was only getting an extension because of the AC21 106(a), what will be my options? Can my employer still file for my extension of working visa? what would be the chances, if he does file, I would get an approval for my extension?

Answer

If your company appealed the denial of the PERM application by the Dept. of Labor (or appealed the denial of I-140 if it was at the I-140 stage), your H1B status could have been extended. However, if it is too late to appeal (generally there is a 30-day window to appeal), you should be prepared to depart the U.S. no later than Oct. 15 as the USCIS will not grant further extension of H1B status without your departure for one year from the U.S.

Ajay K. Arora