You are here:

Immigration Issues/Seeking J1 or other visa for full-time work after 6-y H1-B



I am on a H1-B visa working as an administrator at a community college, and there is less than one year of time to reach the 6 year limit. Is that possible to change to a J1 or other types of visa so I could continute to work at this community college? How can I know if my community college can issue 2019 form? or can I change to a student visa and go on CPT? (please note that this is a community college)

Thank you very much.


Answering your query:
1) Yes, you may change to J1 - inquiry with the counselor/adviser;
2) Yes, you may opt for F1 as well. But, make sure that the college issues I-20 for the purposes.

Best wishes,

Note: Our main are of practice is U.S. Immigration Law with focus on Removal, Deportation, Asylum, Employment Visas, Non-immigrant Visas (H1B/L1/J1), Immigration Bond matters, Criminal Immigration and other complex Immigration matters and related Federal Court litigation.  This communication, though, does not constitute “legal advice”, nor does it form an attorney-client relationship  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.


Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]