Immigration Issues/Staying in U.S. after I-94 expires, filed I-539

Question
My relative's I-94 is expiring on 2 nd September. She is Indian citizen and US visa till 2017. However her return ticket is on 3 rd September.  On July 10 (i.e. 50 days before her I-94 expires) , She filed I- 539 to extend I-94 for one day.  Till today, there is no response from USCIS ?

Is it ok for her to go on 3 rd September since we have already filed extension ?  Or do we need to rebook the ticket since we have not got any decision ?

Answer

Based on the filing of a non-frivolous application to extend status, she can remain legally in the U.S. while the application is pending with the USCIS. However, if the application is denied prior to Sep. 02, she must be ready to depart the U.S. asap upon learning of the decision. In addition, a denial will result in invalidation of existing visa stamp in her passport (if she departs after Sep. 02), and will require issuance of a new visa stamp by a U.S. Consulate in order to enter the U.S.

In any event, she should keep a copy of the extension application with her for her records, along with the USCIS decision on the application (whether approval or denial) as evidence that an application to extend her status was indeed filed with the USCIS no later than expiration date of her I-94.

Ajay K. Arora