You are here:

Immigration Issues/Acquired citizenship by naturalization or not?


My best friend came to the US with her mom when she was 6 years old. They came over on a visa, which they overstayed and never left. She never had a green card, but she does have a legally issued social security card. Her mother was naturalized in 1993 (my friend was 17 at the time). Is she a citizen? This is only coming up because she is having a problem renewing her driver's license and only has a foreign birth certificate. I was under the impression that she can fill out a N-600 and get a Certificate of Citizenship. Apparently, she has talked to a "lawyer" who says that she has been "out-of-status" too long (?) and her only option is to marry a citizen, which he offered his legal services for a hefty fee. Can you please advise?

Dear Kelli:
As per info, yes she will have to qualify for applying for GC.  However, if you provide more information, like, how and when her mother got naturalized maybe I will be in a better position to advise.  

You may call me or email me with proper information.

Best wishes,

Ajay Singh, Esq.
845-784-1500 (Tel) 646-807-4582 (Fax)

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.


Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.