Immigration Issues/Green Card

Question
QUESTION: I'm a Canadian living in America with my boyfriend. I've been here for a little over 6 months, so my "visiting period" on my passport is expired. I'm looking into getting a green card or temporary residency. It would really help out around here, I would like to be able to work. I want to eventually stay here permanently, but I just don't know where to go or who to talk to, how long it takes, or how much it costs. Please help as it would be much appreciated.

ANSWER: Dear Leslie:
FIling of GC [in US] is multifaceted process.  You said that you are living with your boyfriend in the US - if so, and if your boy friend is a citizen of the US you may file GC under marriage category (if you get married to him) and you may get your case processed w/in 6-8 months.  

However, as you have overstayed your visa/permission to stay I would recommend that you seek proper professional consult and advise in this matter as you surely woudl need one if you intend to file and get the case processed w/out any problems.

Best wishes,
Note: Our main are of practice is U.S. Immigration Law with focus on Removal, Deportation, Asylum, Employment Visas, Non-immigrant Visas (H1B/L1/J1), Immigration Bond matters, Criminal Immigration and other complex Immigration matters and related Federal Court litigation.  This communication, though, does not constitute “legal advice”, nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.  

QUESTION: My passport was not stamped on my way into the US, does that mean that they don't actually know when I'm supposed to leave? Since there's no date for when I got in? Also, What do we do if we decide to get married, where do we go? Do we get Married and then immediately go to an office somewhere and say "I'd like my green card, I'm married to my boyfriend." Or is there a form to fill out? Can we fill it out online? Is there a fee?

Answer
Dear Leslie:
Because, your question is case specific for it to be answered meaningfully on a forum I recommend hiring and/or consulting an immigration attorney to provide on-going support as undoubtedly it will be needed since you are delving into a murky area of the law. You may also contact us for consultation and we will be more than happy to assist you.  You may call or send an email - as convenient.  

As for the filing process (after getting married), yes there are multiple forms to be filled out with proper fee to the government (USCIS); currently the USCIS fee amounts to about $1,495.00 (Including immigrant visa fee and GC fee).  

Best wishes,
Ajay Singh, Esq.
845-784-1500
AJASIN@GMAIL.COM

AJAY SINGH