Immigration Issues/Green Card for Teacher

Question
Hi Ajay,

I am a first grade teacher currently holding H1B visa. Next year, my school is renewing my visa for another 3-year H1-B.

My supervisor would like to get a green card for me. However, the immigration lawyer our HR assistant has spoken to said it's not advisable since I'm just first grade teacher. The head of our school asked me to find out what we need to do in order to apply for green card. Is it true that it will be hard for a first grade teacher to get green card?

If our school decided to get a different immigration lawyer for me, would you provide that service? What are the chances of me getting my green card?

Thank you!

Answer

If the title is simply Teacher (or similar), and requires no special qualification (e.g., special education certification, or expertise in math/science, etc.) then it indeed can be difficult to obtain certification of PERM: www.h1b1.com/laborcert.htm as there is an excess of qualified elementary school teachers at this time due to layoffs and cuts in school district budgets, and many qualified candidates will reply to the required advertising for the position. This will require the employer to interview these candidates and make a determination that they do not qualify for the offered job.

Ajay K. Arora