Immigration Issues/H1B by a non profit organization

Question
Hello,

This is regarding H1B sponsorship by a non profit organization. I am a Masters student in my final semester. I was wondering is there a separate quota for H1B sponsorship by a non profit organization? Can a non profit organization apply for your H1B today even though the quota count has reached?

Thanks

Riya

Answer

To be exempt from the H1B visa cap, the petitioner should be either an institution of higher education (whether non-profit or not is irrelevant), or a non-profit research organization. It is defined as follows:

A nonprofit research organization or governmental research organization. A nonprofit research organization is an organization that is primarily engaged in basic research and/or applied research. A governmental research organization is a United States Government entity whose primary mission is the performance or promotion of basic research and/or applied research. Basic research is general research to gain more comprehensive knowledge or understanding of the subject under study, without specific applications in mind. Basic research is also research that advances scientific knowledge, but does not have specific immediate commercial objectives although it may be in fields of present or potential commercial interest. It may include research and investigation in the sciences, social sciences, or humanities. Applied research is research to gain knowledge or understanding to determine the means by which a specific, recognized need may be met. Applied research includes investigations oriented to discovering new scientific knowledge that has specific commercial objectives with respect to products, processes, or services. It may include research and investigation in the sciences, social sciences, or humanities.

Ajay K. Arora