Immigration Issues/H4 visa stamping

Question
QUESTION: Hi,
Could you please help me to clarify one question?

Currently I am working company A in US since 3 years. I recently sent my family back to India for a visit. Mean while I joined a company B, as they filed my h1b (l1b to h1b cos), which is approved effective from oct 1st 2012. My question is, I am planning to send my wife h4 visa stamping... Do I need to have h1b via stamp in my passport before, in order to send my wife for h4 visa stamping?

Could you please advise?

ANSWER: Hi,

In most cases, the Consulate will expect the principal applicant to not only have the appropriate status in the U.S. (H1B in this case) but also the appropriate visa stamp (again, unexpired H1B visa stamp) before the Consulate will issue the dependent visa stamp (H4) to family members.

QUESTION: So is it mandatory document for h4 visa stamping? Or a supporting Doc?

Please advise.

Answer
Your family can apply without your having a current H1B visa stamp in your passport. The odds are that the Consulate will not issue H4 visa stamp to your family.

However, there is no harm in trying; if the Consulate does not issue the H4 visa stamp, your family can apply again once you obtain an H1B visa stamp.

Ajay K. Arora