Immigration Issues/immigration



i am an American citizen living in Mexico. i am married to a Mexican woman with a U.S. travel visa.
we were married in Mexico legally. we are also starting a family.
what is the best way to get my wife a green card to live/work in the states if we were to decide to go back to living there, and what is the best way to have my children get their U.S. passports after having been born in Mexico?
i have heard that it is a good idea to get a civil marriage in the states as well.
is that necessary and is it possible for her to get married in the states being a Mexican citizen?

thank you for you help.

Dear Joe:
As you are a US Citizen you may apply for your wife's immigrant visa.  If you are legally married to your [Mexican] wife, you do not have to re-marry in the US - just get a civil marriage certificate from Mexico or get your marriage registered.

After that, you may file I-130 Petition on behalf of your wife in US and get the case processed at the US Consulate in Mexico. (It might take 6 - 8 months for your wife to be in the US on a Green Card.)

As for the children born in Mexico, you may apply for US citizenship certificate and/or Passport at the US Consulate in Mexico.  

However, I would recommend that you hire or consult with an immigration attorney to properly pursue the matter without any problems.  

You may call us or send us your details via email for further consultation and/or processing the case.  

Best wishes,  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.


Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]