Immigration Issues/L1 to H1B visa stamping

Question
Hi Sir,
I was working in L1 visa for company A and in 2010 I applied for H1 thru company B. My H1 got approved in 2010 December and from the same date I started working for company B. I didnít go to India any time after 2009 and not stamped my H1. Now my H1 is expiring soon and my company B is applying for the extension. Iím planning to visit India after my extension approved. Are there any issues if I go to stamp my extended H1 without stamping my initial H1? If there any specific time period, that the H1 has to be stamped within xx months once it is approved?

Answer

A visa stamp is required only for entering the U.S. As you were maintaining H1B status by being granted change of status from L1 to H1, there is no problem if you did not obtain an H1B visa stamp from a U.S. Consulate earlier. There is no deadline to obtain an H1B visa stamp after H1B approval from the USCIS granting you change of status.

Ajay K. Arora