You are here:

Immigration Issues/Stop Join-sponsor to an immigrant



I am a join-sponsor for a permanent immigrant. This person refuse to have a contact with me, and does not want me to know where she's working. She planned to go back to her country for a long vacation. I do not want to financially sponsor her any more because I think this person is a burden to me and my family. Is there a way that I can stop sponsoring her? Please advice! Thank you. Toni

You mention that you are the joint-sponsor, meaning sponsor along with the main sponsor (maybe the Petitioner). There are no hard and fast rules but you may inform USCIS in writing that you intend to withdraw your support.  Keep all records for future reference.

Best wishes,  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.


Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.