You are here:

Immigration Issues/Canadian Living in Canada with US Green Card


I am a Canadian Citizen.  I received my green card 1995 based on marriage to my first wife.
We were divorced in 1996 and I started to spend more time in Canada while maintaining an apartment, job, drivers license in Chicago.

I was remarried to a Canadian citizen with no US status and we have two children 12 and 9.  I spend most of my time now in Canada with the family as we decide when we may move to the US.

I have maintained my employment and apartment, drivers license in the US all this time .  I have always showed my Green Card and said that I live in Chicago..travelled separate from the family.

This week I was pulled over crossing into the US and when the office looked at my travel record, deemed that I spend to much time in Canada and may not be considered to be living in the US.  He offered me to surrender the green card or the next time they will ask me these questions again.

I kept the green card and am now back in Canada.

My goal is to try to maintain the green card as our intent is to relocate to the US at some point.

I don't know the rules and how many days I really need to be in the US and what I need to maintain to be allowed to keep the green card.

Would it be helpful if I filed for green cards for my wife and children?

Any advise would be appreciated.

You need to show maintaining residence in the US.  Just by keeping an apartment would not suffice - one must have utility bills and tax returns.  You may b living abroad fro employment purposes and/or family unity.  

You may file for your family in the meantime showing intention.

Best wishes,  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.


Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.