Immigration Issues/H1B Visa Process

Question
I just got to know that there are primarily 3 steps involved in H1B Visa process.
1. Obtaining prevailing wage determination from USDOL

2. Filing of labor condition application with USDOL

3. Filing of visa petition with USCIS

I am currently on OPT till Jan 2014 and my company is targeting to file my H1B Visa petition by April 1, 2013. However, they have not even started with the first step. Could you please explain how much time will the first 2 processes take? Will my company be able to meet April 1, 2013 date. As I have to visit India in May 2013, I will be going for premium processing. Thanks.

Answer

The prevailing wage determination can be done online here: http://www.flcdatacenter.com/OesWizardStart.aspx

The LCA filed with the U.S. Dept. of Labor typically takes about 7 business days for certification. Only then should the I-129 be filed with the USCIS. The H1B petition can easily be filed at the beginning of April, 2013.

However, the process is easy to describe but not easy in practice. I highly recommend that you or your employer retain an experienced immigration attorney for the process to minimize delays and possibility of denial, etc.

Ajay K. Arora