Immigration Issues/J-1 to H1B transfer

Question

I am a French national currently working in the US under a J-1 visa expiring 8/31/13. I would like to know if I, or rather the company I work for, can file an application for an H1B visa for FY 2014 starting 10/1/13 while I am still in the US? If so, do I have to go back to France between 8/31 and 10/1 to have my visa approved and stamped?

I would like to point out that I am not subject to the two-year rule.

Thank you,
Jean-Charles.

Answer

As you are not subject to the 2-year home country requirement, an H1B petition for fiscal year 2014 can be filed no earlier than April 01, 2013 with employment start date of Oct. 01, 2013. Since Oct. 01, 2013 is within the 30-day grace period applicable to J1 visa status, you can remain legally in the U.S. after Aug. 31, 2013, assuming that the H1B petition is approved with validity date of Oct. 01, 2013 and you have been granted "change of status" on that date. In this scenario, you will automatically be in H1B status on Oct. 01, 2013 and need not depart the U.S.

Ajay K. Arora