Immigration Issues/additional letter

QUESTION: I have already sent sponsorship application for my husband and that part has been approved but a friend was telling me that I should have sent an additional letter with my application for further evidence of my relationship with my husband (ie. such as future plans ect.). Can I send this additional information now by letter or email to the Immigration in Kingston Jamaica?

ANSWER: Dear Anne,

Thanks for your inquiry.

I would suggest you to wait and do not volunteer. When immigration ask you to submit your original passport, at that point of time you can enclose additional information that support your application, if it was not disclosed earlier when the Sponsorship application was submitted or you think the information will help the officer to make his/her decision in regards to your application.

In case, you have been called for an interview then you can take such information, which supports your application and provide the same to visa officer, if required.

QUESTION: Is it normal that even after a year the Application status still says "Application received" For Permanent Residence.

Usually, it should say in process but remember government officials are working just for their pay cheque. There is a probability that CIC hasn't started processing permanent resident part of the application or officer ignored to update the status.

Normally, CIC site is updated weeklly, every Wednesday or Thursday. But there is nothing to worry. Give them a time or initiate an inquiry through your local MP office (it's free service).

Ravi Khosla

You can ask question related to Canadian Immigration, policies and procedures.

Serving the community since last 25 years in regards to their immigration matters.

Senior Paralegal (Immigration) CVT Law Office Surrey BC