Immigration Issues/Marriage/Immigration to Canada

Question
I am 63 -- an American citizen, retired female --  and planning to marry my Canadian (Newfoundland) fiance next year.
It is my understanding that the marriage will not automatically make me a citizen of Canada.

However I can apply for Permanent Residency, I believe, through Family Sponsorship.
Could you please explain the steps for that?

I will be in Canada for a couple months after our marriage, then back in the states for a  month, then back and forth for a while. So, do I apply from the US or from Canada?

Also, would I qualify for any health care once I am married -- my fiance has healthcare he thinks he can add me to -- or will I have to obtain my own health plan?

And, lastly, would I need a Canadian driverís license to drive while there BEFORE the permanent residency is finalized?

I really need step-by-step directives as I donít understand a lot of what is shown on the various Canadian websites Iíve been researching.

Thank you so much for your patience, I know I have a lot of questions. :)

Benni

Answer
Dear Benni,

Thanks for your inquiry.

You will find all the steps that have to be taken in order to become PR at the following web site:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

-  So, do I apply from the US or from Canada?

I suggest to apply from outside Canada and the application process usually takes from 6-8 months and you will become PR

- Also, would I qualify for any health care once I am married -- my fiancť has healthcare he thinks he can add me to -- or will I have to obtain my own health plan?

In regards to health care benefits: You will get once you become PR

- And, lastly, would I need a Canadian driverís license to drive while there BEFORE the permanent residency is finalized?

You can drive in Canada with your US driver license but for more information you must contact the local office but usually with your US license you can drive up to 6 months.

-  I really need step-by-step directives as I donít understand a lot of what is shown on the various Canadian websites Iíve been researching.

It's not a bad idea to retain an immigration lawyer.

Hope the above information is helpful.

Ravi  

Ravi Khosla