Immigration Issues/I-129F after filing I-130 for spouse

Question

Happy holidays
I hope you can give me your opinion about this issue

I (a US citizen) filed an I-130 for my wife who lives abroad to come to the US. The application was filed at the NBC in August 2013. Back then the processing times on the USCIS website were around 7 months. I was advised not to file an accompanying I-129F to speed up the process because it will basically take the same time as the I-130.
In Oct 2013, the USCIS updated their processing times to 13 months!
The idea of filing an I-129F started to make more sense, because the processing times for this form were still at 5 months at the Texas Service Center (Texas is where I live).
Last week the USCIS updated their processing times again back to 7 months.
Now, I'm still in favor of filing an I-129F just to be on the safe side.
My questions are: does filing I-129F sound like a good idea especially with the fluctuations in processing times?
Will filing I-129F have any negative effects, like further delays in processing? In one of the online forums someone said that it might delay it because the USCIS will try to group the two applications which takes more time
And finally: Any idea what is going on with the USCIS processing times?
Thank you for your time

Answer

Happy Thanksgiving holidays to you as well.

I do not see a disadvantage in filing the I-129F. There is no filing fee applicable in this instance, and if the I-130 is approved first (as appears likely) the pending I-129F is disregarded.

There is no inside information on actual processing time. You can call 800-375-5283 and open a status inquiry with the USCIS re. the pending I-130 (have the I-130 receipt notice handy when you call) since it is outside current processing times. The USCIS will provide the timeframe that is being taken to process an I-130 (which can be different than the published processing times), and respond to the status inquiry within 30 days.

Ajay K. Arora