You are here:

Immigration Issues/Employment under J-1 visa


I'm here in the US under a J-1 visa, working for a state university. I would like to know what type of freelance work I'm allowed to do (e.g. freelance writing online, teaching swim lessons, etc). And are there conditions placed on these types of income?
Thank you!

It is not clear what type of J1 are you on? Is it student exchange or physicians with 2 year home residency requirement?

It seems you are on student exchange, if so, the visa is restricted in terms and conditions with hours of work authorization.  

Best wishes,  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.


Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.