Immigration Issues/H4 travel - H1B apply

Question
I'll be applying for my H1 visa from India in April 2014.
I'll be travelling to the USA on H4 by the end of April 2014.
Could you please clarify the below question
- will be there be any problem in getting a H4 by April 2014 end since I would ve applied for a H1 visa in the starting of April 2014.
- Once the H1 is approved, should I have to come to the home country to get the Change of Status ?
- will there be any other issues?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards
Prasanna

Answer

There will be no problem in entering the U.S. using unexpired H4 visa stamp in passport, since at time of entry the H1B petition would not have been approved by the USCIS (and even if approved, the validity date would be October 01, 2014 due to visa cap issues), and since the purpose of your entry in April will be to join your spouse (and not to be employed immediately, as H4 status does not allow for employment), I do not foresee any issues.

The H1B petition approval notice would not grant you change of status from H4 to H1B. Thus, in order to activate H1B status, you would need to depart the U.S. at some point after H1B approval notice validity date, apply for H1B visa stamp at a U.S. Consulate (normally in your home country) and when you enter the U.S. again show the H1B visa stamp to the immigration inspector at the port-of-entry so that you are admitted in H1B status.

Ajay K. Arora