Immigration Issues/H1B Extension based on I140 approved

Question
Hello There,

My question is:

I am doing consulting and my client does not give client letter and if they do in some cases then letter say that engagement is for 6 months and so when I go and file for H1B extension then earlier I use to get extension for 1 year only. Now since I have my I140 approved, if I go ahead and file for H1B extension with client letter that says that engagement is for 6 months then do I get 3 yrs extension based on approved I140 or 1 yr extension based on client letter?

Also, another question I have is that if my LCA is approved for 3 years then are we 100% sure that we would get 3 yrs extension for H1B or there can be situation where LCA can be approved for 3 years but H1B is extended only for 1 yr based on 6 month engagement mentioned in client letter?

Kindly advice.

Answer

The H1B petition cannot be approved beyond the validity date of the LCA (Labor Condition Application) which is certified by the Department of Labor and accompanies an H1B petition filed with the USCIS. An I-140 approval allows for extension of H1B status in 3 year increments.

However, the USCIS has the discretion to grant extension for less than the maximum period allowed. Therefore, it is not uncommon for the USCIS to grant an H1B extension based on the anticipated length of an assignment for consulting positions. The probability is higher for a full 3 year extension if the client letter indicates that the project will be extended automatically beyond the anticipated 6 months with the consent of both parties and satisfactory performance of the project.

Ajay K. Arora