Immigration Issues/LIVING OVERSEAS TEMPORARY

Question
I have a permanent residence card when I married my spouse who is a US citizen. It has been over 10 years since we married.  I will have to go back to Japan to take care of my parents.  I intend to return to the USA once I have finished taking care of my parents.  During the time that I am taking care of my parents in Japan, I will visit my spouse in the USA maybe once or twice a year.  Do I
need to send any documents or advise to the immigration office about this situation?  

Thank you.

Answer
If you enter every year, and provide substantial documentation at the port-of-entry such as the reason for traveling, that your wife is in the U.S. and you have no intention of abandoning her, that you have filed tax returns and have a bank account and a mortgage or lease and credit cards, utility bills, etc., it should be OK. There is no need to file a re-entry permit, which is required only for absences of between one and two years.

If you enter every 6 months, you will probably not be asked any questions whatsoever. There is no notification or documentation to be filed with the USCIS prior to departure.

Ajay K. Arora