Immigration Issues/Renewing Employment Authorization

Question
Hello, my friend needs to renew his employment authorization.  He had it for a year and it expires 12/18/2013.  I have a few questions.

As long he submits the paperwork before it expires is that ok?  Or is it already too late?  

Does he have to pay the $385 fee again this year just to renew? I read a lot of commentaries on various forums saying that after 2007 the fee doesn't have to by paid again.  

Thank you so much!
Anna

Answer
Dear Anna, you have not specified the category of the work permit (EAD); however, for most cases one has to pay the fee even when renewing.  Regarding time of filing for renewal, it is okay to file anytime before expiry or even after expiry (in certain cases.)  The only problem people face when applying too late is that it might take anytime from 2-5 months in processing.  

Best wishes,  

AJAY SINGH