You are here:

Immigration Issues/Dependants staying back


QUESTION: I am on an Intra company transferee WP in Canada for the last 3 years. My WP along with my dependents visitor records valid upto Mar 2014.

My current project is getting over in Apr 2013. I will have to return back to my home country while i would like my dependents to stay back in Canada till the end of their visitor records. Is it legal for them to stay back?

ANSWER: Hi Deep,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Is it legal for them to stay back?
Yes, it is legal for them to stay until the permit.
I assume that there are no specific conditions written on their permits, which is very unlikely.


---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: My company HR was saying that since my spouse and kid are dependent on me and my work permit will become invalid once i am out of job in Canada, therefore dependent permit will also be considered invalid.
Please clarify that if this is the case?

Well, my answer will remain the same and I don't have any doubts. If a person got valid permit: Work or Student then he or she can remain in Canada till the validity of such permit unless OFFICER specify TERMS OR CONDITIONS on such permit(s) or there are some sort of exclusion order or deportation order been issued. E.g.: If an applicant entered Canada on a work permit for two years and the work is done in 14 months then he or she entitled to stay till the date that shows on work permit or voluntarily leave the country.

P.S: Simply call as a layman 1-888-242-2100 in order to confirm (Don't provide any volunteer information) or consult with any immigration lawyer in order to clarify your doubts.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ravi Khosla


You can ask question related to Canadian Immigration, policies and procedures.


Serving the community since last 25 years in regards to their immigration matters.

Senior Paralegal (Immigration) CVT Law Office Surrey BC


©2017 All rights reserved.