Immigration Issues/H4 to H1B Amendment

Question

When I was in India I applied for H1 visa through a US consulting company.

Details:
Applied H1 Visa:June 2012
Entered US with H4:Aug 2012
H1 approved :Oct 2012.

So in my case should I go for amendment or change of status.Will there be any issue if I transfer the H1 visa to a new company.Will I face any issue since I applied H1 visa outside US.

Please reply.

Thanks and Regards,

Answer

Unless the H1B approval notice (Form I-797) indicates that you were granted change or extension of status (with an I-94 attached to the bottom of the H1B approval notice), then in order to activate H1B status based on the H1B approval notice you would need to go to a U.S. Consulate outside the U.S. (in most cases in your home country) and enter the U.S. on an H1B visa stamp.

You cannot transfer H1B status to a new company, or amend H1B status, as it appears that you do not currently have H1B status.

Ajay K. Arora