You are here:

Immigration Issues/L-2 visa - travel duration allowance


Hi Ajay,

I have a question regarding L-2 visa which I cannot find the answer in the USCIS website.
I am L-1 visa holder and my spouse has L-2. She plans to go back home country temporarily and will stay there for more than 3 months.
My question is, does L-2 visa holder have period of staying outside U.S.? In other words, how long can she stay outside U.S. within the visa duration?
Of course she has enough longer visa duration than 3 months. I, her spouse and L-1 visa holder, stay U.S.. during her going outside.
I highly appreciate if you could give me the solution.

Thank you in advance.

Dear Robert:
To my understanding, because L-2 is a dependent visa the dependents do not have limitations/restrictions as the main applicant.  Therefore, I think she can stay without hassle as long as the L-2 status is valid [for more than 6 months upon re-entry].

Best wishes,  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.


Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.