You are here:

Immigration Issues/sponsoring my wife+child into Canada


Hello Mr Kholsa,

I am planning to sponsor my wife + 1 year-old son into Canada from their native country of Taiwan.  Because I am a Canadian citizen we have already applied for my son's Canadian citizenship at the Canadian consulate in Taiwan (last time I visited Taiwan) but don't expect to receive that until after we send in our applications (sponsor & immigration)

On the financial front, I will still be a full-time university student at the time we plan to apply (this May) but will not have much money at hand. In university, I'm enrolled in an engineering program w/a "co-op work experience component" and as such I have almost 2 years of experience working in engineering consulting firms.  My wife, also owns some property in Taiwan.  My question is, what can we do to show that we I an financially qualified to sponsor her or what can she do to show that she has some money of her own and does not need a "sugar daddy" after she comes over to Canada? Also, is it necessary to show this in the application?  I didn't see a financial requirement anywhere?

Markham, Ontario

Hi Mr.Chow,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Please note that the Sponsor is freed from this financial requirement if:

1. The individual requiring sponsorship is the spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner of the Canadian Sponsor; or

2. The individual requiring sponsorship is the dependent child of the Canadian Sponsor.

However, you need to send them your Option C along with your application along with a written submission to CIC: How you will support your family in Canada. Basically you have to prove that you will be able to support your self and your wife & child once they lands. For example: Any job offer for your wife, Bank Savings of your wife & yourself, Job prospects for you in Canada or your part-time job in Canada etc.

"Exception to minimum necessary income

133(4) Paragraph (1)(j) does not apply if the sponsored person is

(a) the sponsor's spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner and has no dependent children;

(b) the sponsor's spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner and has a dependent child who has no dependent children; or

(c) a dependent child of the sponsor who has no dependent children or a person referred to in paragraph 117(1)(g)."


Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ravi Khosla


You can ask question related to Canadian Immigration, policies and procedures.


Serving the community since last 25 years in regards to their immigration matters.

Senior Paralegal (Immigration) CVT Law Office Surrey BC


©2017 All rights reserved.