Immigration Issues/sponsoring my wife+child into Canada

Question
Hello Mr Kholsa,

I am planning to sponsor my wife + 1 year-old son into Canada from their native country of Taiwan.  Because I am a Canadian citizen we have already applied for my son's Canadian citizenship at the Canadian consulate in Taiwan (last time I visited Taiwan) but don't expect to receive that until after we send in our applications (sponsor & immigration)

On the financial front, I will still be a full-time university student at the time we plan to apply (this May) but will not have much money at hand. In university, I'm enrolled in an engineering program w/a "co-op work experience component" and as such I have almost 2 years of experience working in engineering consulting firms.  My wife, also owns some property in Taiwan.  My question is, what can we do to show that we I an financially qualified to sponsor her or what can she do to show that she has some money of her own and does not need a "sugar daddy" after she comes over to Canada? Also, is it necessary to show this in the application?  I didn't see a financial requirement anywhere?

Mike
Markham, Ontario

Answer
Hi Mr.Chow,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Please note that the Sponsor is freed from this financial requirement if:

1. The individual requiring sponsorship is the spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner of the Canadian Sponsor; or

2. The individual requiring sponsorship is the dependent child of the Canadian Sponsor.

However, you need to send them your Option C along with your application along with a written submission to CIC: How you will support your family in Canada. Basically you have to prove that you will be able to support your self and your wife & child once they lands. For example: Any job offer for your wife, Bank Savings of your wife & yourself, Job prospects for you in Canada or your part-time job in Canada etc.

"Exception to minimum necessary income

133(4) Paragraph (1)(j) does not apply if the sponsored person is

(a) the sponsor's spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner and has no dependent children;

(b) the sponsor's spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner and has a dependent child who has no dependent children; or

(c) a dependent child of the sponsor who has no dependent children or a person referred to in paragraph 117(1)(g)."

Ravi

Ravi Khosla