Immigration Issues/FNU


Dear Sir,
I came to US in Month of Dec 2012.I am on H1B & I am in South carolina,Greenville.I am already holding SSN from my 1st Visit in 2002.I am facing issue when applying for DMV. In my Indian passport I dnt have surname where as Given Name is full Name Vineet Anand (1st Name/Family Name). To my Visa My Surname is printed as Vineet Anand & Given Name as FNU. When applying for DMV they rejected this as Given Name is FNU. To my I-94 Information is Correct i.e. Family Name = Anand & Given Name = Vineet.What all document I should carry so that I should be in position to apply for License. Please reply to my query.

Kind Rgd's

Vineet Anand

Seems you have a lot to correct regarding your name.  I would say go with your birth certificate and Passport. (Wondering how come visa name is different than what is in your passport?)

I would say take:
- H1B documents
- SS Card
and get teh name corrected on Passport [accordingly] at the consulate or an endorsement of the corrected name on the PP.

Best wishes,  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Questions regarding Immigration to United States, including Removal/Deportation Proceedings, Asylum; Green Card through Family (Fiance/ee Visa, Spouse, Children, Parents, Siblings); Green Card through Employment (Labor Certification - PERM, Extra Ordinary Ability - EB1, Religious/Entrepreneur - EB4/EB5); Non-Immigrant Visas - H1B, L1, F & M, J1, J1 waiver, Humanitarian relief (Cancellation of Removal, Prosecutorial Discretion, TPS, Dream Act); Hardship Waiver (I-601/212) etc., are welcome.


Dealing with clients seeking immigration help since year 2001. Main area of practice is Immigration Law.

Member - AILA. Bar Council of India.

LL.M - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, NY. LL.B - Campus Law Center, University of Delhi, New Delhi.

©2017 All rights reserved.